...preserving our heritage for the future...
Negaunee Historical Museum By appointment only between Labor and Memorial Days
303 East Main Street Summer Hours:
Negaunee, Michigan 49866 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Saturday
(906) 475-4614 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. on Sunday
Suggested donation of $3 for adult admission and $1 for children.
Officers elected for 2012
The Negaunee Historical Society held its annual meeting on December 6. The membership voted in Dave Dompierre, Sr. to fill Shirley Northey's trustee seat. Shirley is unable to continue with the everyday happenings at the museum. The residents of Negaunee and the surrounding area can thank Shirley and appreciate her dedication and monetary gifts throughout the years. All of the previous officers were re-elected for 2012. To view the trustees, click here.
Collins log cabin
Negaunee pioneer Samuel Collins brought his family to Negaunee in 1867. They lived in a log cabin while he built the first framed house in Cornishtown Location near the Jackson Mine. In 2009, a log cabin was found within the walls of a small house being demolished in the Collins First Addition to the City of Negaunee, near the football field. Research indicates that the log cabin had been moved from another location and rebuilt in 1913 on a concrete foundation owned by Samuel Collins. The logs were covered with siding, which protected them while the structure stood for nearly 100 years. After being discovered in 2009, the cabin was taken apart, log by log, and stored by members of the Lions Club.
The Collins cabin is ready to be put back together on a site across Tobin Street form the Negaunee Senior Center, near the park. The project is being spearheaded by Jim Thomas and Dave Dompierre, Sr., as well as other Lions members. Fundraising is now taking place to help restore the pioneer home for public viewing. Most of the restoration work will be done by volunteers; however, donations are needed to cover costs related to permits, site preparation, foundation, roof construction and some other related needs. Donations to support the restoration of the cabin can be marked "Collins Log Cabin" and mailed to the Negaunee Historical Society, P.O. Box 221, Negaunee, MI 49866-0221. Everyone is encouraged to play a part in this project.
Two Historical Pins Still Available
The Historical Society is still offering pins for sale as a fundraiser. Plans are in the works to have a new pin available each year depicting different mines in the area. Last year's pin, shown at right, is about one inch diameter in size, and will feature the Jackson Mine. This year's pin depicts "double-jacking," a method used to extract the ore. Pins are $3 a piece.
Historic Books and Maps Make Great Anytime Presents!
Two books are available to the public as a fundraiser for the Negaunee Historical Society and as a service to the community. An all-volunteer committee has put together these projects, with production donated by Plan B Publishing of Negaunee.
The Souvenir of Negaunee book is a reproduction of an old picture book, which contains many photos and advertisements depicting old businesses and neighborhoods.
The historical book offers a 90-page report of the development of the Negaunee area with regards to mining. It also includes a mining timeline, list of mines and a historical timeline, all with old photos.
The books and map are available in limited edition prints. Copies are available for purchase from the Negaunee History Museum, Marquette County History Museum or by calling (906)475-4614.
Click here to e-mail your questions or comments.